On mountain mornings the wood smokes curls round and round

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My computer is dying

My computer is taking its last breaths. I don't know if I should stand up and cheer or just sit here and cry. I need a new hard drive. I have used up all my C: Main space. I don't have enough left to run my photoshop program to do my scrapbook pages, that is the bad news. The good news is that I have a new hard drive waiting in the wings to have my DH install. It is 100 gig so I should be good and I have recently installed in my external bay a 300 gig storage unit. I have transfered folders to that unit and have exported my favorites to that unit and I think I've done all that I can to get ready for the hard drive move. But, it is still a scary prospect. We have WindowsXP to DL onto the new hard drive, hubby says he knows how to get my Eudora email back up and running. I will not have Word but I have information about a program like Word that I think I can use so as to not have to buy Word(Office Suite) again. It ticks me off that you can not just get Word, you have to buy the whole blasted program for big bucks. I have contacted my organizer (ACDSee) and will be able to re-install that with their help as it was a DL from on -line. I have my Photoshop Elements that I can re-DL. I will loose my photos organized in those nice catagories but that can be redone. All my photos are safely tucked away in my external. So, we are just nervous to do it. We feel that nothing can go wrong but that is the time to worry, right? I will take one last look at everything and see if I need to tuck away any other folders and then it's audios old 20 gig hardrive. Keep your fingers crossed for me ya hear? Here is one of my latest pages to share with you before I reach the point of no return with the transfer. This is a page for my Digi: In Deep (DID) class from week 2. ( I can't do week 3...not enough memory to run photoshop) These pictures were taken about 37 years apart. Infact, I am pregnant with Kristen in the first photo, although it doesn't show. She will be 37 in August....ummm maybe she is getting old enough where she doesn't want her age blabbed around. So, you didn't hear it from me OK?The following is a page I made from my own template..heck yeah! This is the first template I have ever made..thanks Jessica for giving me the skills to do this.

So before the day wanes futher I will do a final check "under the bed" as it were to make sure I haven't left anything behind on my old hard drive and bid it adieu.

I leave you with this thought: "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila"

Have a good one!

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I love your work!!! You need and deserve a nice big new computer!!(let's not talk about the cost)..I took the plunge before up and running (retirement gift to myself)...good old Dell and their payment plan...it's like a car...keep adding..EHD, printer, service plan...aaaaaaaaaaaaaah..hope you are up and running soon!!!dewnie

Jackie said...

Hope you get a computer up and running soon...I would be lost without mine :) I love the lo of you then and now....

Angela2932 said...

Ann, here's Heather's email. I couldn't find yours. . . hi_c74@hotmail.com

Can you send me yours at Angela2932@gmail.com?